QuixTec provides technical bulletins ‘unaltered’ from Microsoft. As an authorized Microsoft Partner, experienced SharePoint development group and Office 365 expert, QuixTec’s’ custom online or on prem solutions include the latest Microsoft updates throughout initiatives that we custom develop for you.
From Microsoft Corporation
Technical Bulletin MC256473 · Published May 14, 2021 · Last updated May 21, 2021
Action required by Jul 15, 2021
Updated May 21, 2021: We have updated the rollout timeline below. Thank you for your patience.
We are introducing a new capability, Advanced Delivery, for the configuration of third-party phishing simulation campaigns and delivery of messages to security operations (SecOps) mailboxes. Admins will now be able to explicitly configure for the following scenarios and ensure messages configured as part of these scenarios are handled correctly across product experiences:
- Third-Party Phish simulation campaigns: Admins using a third-party phish education vendor to simulate attacks that can help identify vulnerable users before a real attack impacts their organization.
- Security Operations (SecOps) mailboxes: These are special mailboxes Admins setup to support the ability for end users to report malicious emails to SecOps teams. These are also used by security teams to collect and analyze unfiltered messages.
- Microsoft 365 Roadmap ID 72207.
- Timing: We will begin rolling this out in mid-June and expect to complete rollout mid-July.
- Roll-out: user level roll-out v tenant level
- Control type: admin control
- Action: review, assess and configure your third-party phishing simulation campaigns/delivery for security operation mailboxes when feature rolls out (mid-July).
How this will affect your organization
With Advanced Delivery, we will ensure that protection filters will respect these configurations and not block these messages. We will also show off these messages with the appropriate annotations in the reporting, investigation and security experiences in the product, so security teams and admins are not confused about the true nature of these messages.
Since these do not represent a real threat to your organization, we will, for example, not flag the messages as malicious and inadvertently remove them from your inbox, and we’ll skip things like triggering alerts, detonation, and automated investigations. However, admins will have the ability to filter, analyze and understand messages delivered due to these special scenarios.
What you need to do to prepare
If you are currently using Exchange mail flow rules (also known as transport rules or ETRs) to configure your third-party phishing simulation campaigns or delivery for security operation mailboxes, you should begin to configure these with the new Advanced Delivery policy when the feature is launched in June.
After the last phase of Secure by Default is enabled in July for ETRs, Defender for Office 365;
- Will no longer deliver high confidence phish, regardless of any explicit ETRs.
- Will no longer be a recommended method to configure the above scenarios.
- Microsoft Defender for Office 365 tech community blog announcing this new capability: Mastering Configuration Part Two (microsoft.com)
- MS documentation on the new Advanced Delivery Policy: Configure the delivery of third-party phishing simulations to users and unfiltered messages to SecOps mailboxes – Office 365 | Microsoft Docs
- How we are keeping customers secure: Secure by default in Office 365 – Office 365 | Microsoft Docs
ABOUT US: QuixTec, LLC is a U.S. certified Veteran Owned, modern DevOps organization and Microsoft Partner that specializes in Microsoft SharePoint, Office 365 expertise & HTML5 technologies for small to enterprise-sized organizations. The founder, Richard, has 30 years of experience working with several notable companies that include World Vision, Expedia, Microsoft, Levi Strauss, NASA, Boeing Aerospace, Los Alamos National Laboratory, and the U.S. Air Force, to name a few. QuixTec is in the Seattle area. Phone today for a free consultation and project estimate: (425) 367-9025 SHAREPOINT DEVELOPMENT – CUSTOM SOLUTION DEVELOPMENT – OFFICE 365 EXPERTS – SHAREPOINT DOCUMENT LIBRARIES – SHAREPOINT CONUSLTANCY – SPECIAL NGO RATES