From Microsoft Corporation
MC231359 · Published Dec 23, 2020
From QuixTec, LLC: about Microsoft Technical Bulletins: The information contained in these technical bulletins are provided ‘unaltered’ from the Microsoft 365 Message center. As an authorized Microsoft Partner, QuixTec’s’ Custom SharePoint Development and Office 365 expertise takes Microsoft notifications into full account throughout initiatives. We tailor your solution according to your corporate style and business requirements and make recommendations based upon our knowledgebase of Microsoft Technologies and technical bulletins. QuixTec’s Microsoft SharePoint development services delivers user-friendly, feature-rich applications. For example: using SharePoint’s flexibility, the solutions we create for you will be intuitive and welcome your users to collaborate and capture crucial information necessary to efficiently complete tasks. (425) 367-9025
It’s important for users to be able to make and receive PSTN calls even should a central site that hosts Teams becomes unavailable. Microsoft Teams is now offering this capability, branch office survivability, for all Teams customers that have configured voice resiliency.
If you do not use Session Border Controllers (SBC) from one of these vendors (AudioCodes, Oracle, Ribbon Communications, and TE-SYSTEMS) you can safely ignore this message.
This message is associated with Microsoft 365 Roadmap ID 68772.
When this will happen
- This feature entered public preview in early December 2020.
- It will be generally available in late January 2021.
How this will affect your organization
Occasionally, a customer site using Direct Routing to connect to Microsoft Phone System may experience an internet outage. This means that the customer site (a branch) temporarily is unable to connect to the Microsoft cloud through Direct Routing. However, the intranet inside the branch is still fully functional; thus users can connect to the SBC that is providing PSTN connectivity.
When a central site is out of service whether through WAN failure or another cause, it is essential to maintain emergency services and access to a help desk, as well as the ability to conduct critical business tasks.
Branch office survivability refers to
- The ability to make outbound calls when connection to the Microsoft cloud has been lost (offline mode).
- Basic call handling, including call hold, retrieval, while the system is in offline mode .
- Inbound PSTN calls in resiliency mode, if the telephony service provider supports the ability to fail over to a backup site.
What you need to do to prepare
Microsoft provides Survivable Branch Appliance (SBA) software to vendors. The vendors embed SBA in the SBC in their devices that they distribute to customers.
- Currently, the following vendors support SBA: AudioCodes, Oracle, Ribbon Communications, and TE-SYSTEMS.
- To set up the SBA, follow the guidance provided by SBC vendors with the SBC firmware.
- If you would like to get to get SBC firmware with the SBA capability, please contact your SBC vendor support organization.
QuixTec, LLC is a U.S. certified Veteran Owned, modern DevOps organization that specializes in Microsoft SharePoint, Office 365 & HTML5 technologies for small to enterprise-sized organizations. Richard has 30 years of experience working with several notable companies that include World Vision, Expedia, Microsoft, Levi Strauss, NASA, Boeing Aerospace, Los Alamos National Laboratory and the U.S. Air Force, to name a few. QuixTec is located in the Seattle area. Phone today for a free consultation and project estimate: (425) 367-9025