From Microsoft Corporation – Action required by Mar 9, 2021
MC237900 · Published Feb 5, 2021
QuixTec provides technical bulletins ‘unaltered’ from Microsoft. As an authorized Microsoft Partner, experienced SharePoint development group and Office 365 expert, QuixTec’s’ custom online or on prem solutions include the latest Microsoft updates throughout initiatives that we custom develop.
As communicated in MC220490 (August ’20), Microsoft Edge Legacy desktop application support will end on March 9, 2021. After support ends, Microsoft Edge Legacy will not receive new security updates.
With March 9, 2021 only a month away, we strongly recommend that you build a transition plan to ensure that you have an up-to-date browser.
*NEW* To replace this out of support application, we are announcing that the new Microsoft Edge will be available as part of an upcoming Windows 10 cumulative monthly security update. When you apply this update to your devices, the new Microsoft Edge will be installed and the out of support Microsoft Edge Legacy will be removed.
Additionally, to continue using kiosk mode and avoid disruption to your kiosk scenarios, you will need to set up kiosk mode in the new Microsoft Edge.
Microsoft Edge Legacy desktop application
- Timing: End of support for the Microsoft Edge Legacy desktop app will occur on March 9, 2021.
- To continue using a supported browser, transition to the new Microsoft Edge.
- To avoid disruption to your kiosk scenarios, you must additionally set up kiosk mode in the new Microsoft Edge.
- If you are already using the new Microsoft Edge (and have set up any needed kiosk scenarios), no action is required.
How this will affect your organization:
After March 9, 2021, the Microsoft Edge Legacy desktop application will no longer be supported and will not receive new security updates. Move to the new Microsoft Edge before that date to ensure your organization is using an up-to-date browser.
*NEW* To replace this out of support application, we are announcing that the new Microsoft Edge will be available as part of the Windows 10 cumulative monthly security update—otherwise referred to as the Update Tuesday (or “B”) release—on April 13, 2021. When you apply this update, the out of support Microsoft Edge Legacy desktop application will be removed and the new Microsoft Edge will be installed. Read the announcement here.
This replacement will also occur if you apply the optional Windows 10 March Preview (or “C”) release.
To continue using kiosk mode and avoid disruption to your kiosk scenarios that were dependent on Microsoft Edge Legacy, you will need to set up kiosk mode in the new Microsoft Edge. If you do not set up kiosk mode in the new Microsoft Edge prior to applying the April’s Windows 10 Update Tuesday release, Microsoft Edge Legacy, and its kiosk mode, will no longer be available and you will experience a disruption in your kiosk scenarios. Please read this article detailing this transition.
What you need to do to prepare:
- The new Microsoft Edge is the planned update for Microsoft Edge Legacy; if you already have the new Microsoft Edge on your device(s), no action is required.
- Kiosk mode customers: You will need to set up kiosk mode again in the new Microsoft Edge. Read this article and develop a plan to transition.
- For help transitioning to the new Microsoft Edge:
- Additional ways to upgrade to the new Microsoft Edge:
- Change management:
- You will want to notify your users that Microsoft Edge Legacy will be replaced by the new Microsoft Edge once you apply the update. We have adoption materials available for user education.
- You will also want to update any applicable user training and prepare your help desk. Microsoft Edge has browser policies available to aid with set up and help with the transition.
- K-12 education customers: After installing the new Microsoft Edge, additional configuration is required.
- *NEW* Blog announcing that the new Microsoft Edge will replace the out of support Microsoft Edge Legacy desktop application when you apply April’s Windows 10 Update Tuesday release.
- *NEW* Article detailing how to transition to kiosk mode in the new Microsoft Edge.
- Read more about Microsoft Edge Legacy end of support in the Lifecycle announcement.
- To learn more about Microsoft Edge for your business, visit our website or YouTube page.
We always value feedback and questions from our customers.
QuixTec, LLC is a U.S. certified Veteran Owned, modern DevOps organization and Microsoft Partner that specializes in Microsoft SharePoint, Office 365 expertise & HTML5 technologies for small to enterprise-sized organizations. The founder, Richard, has 30 years of experience working with several notable companies that include World Vision, Expedia, Microsoft, Levi Strauss, NASA, Boeing Aerospace, Los Alamos National Laboratory and the U.S. Air Force, to name a few. QuixTec is located in the Seattle area. Phone today for a free consultation and project estimate: (425) 367-9025 SHAREPOINT DEVELOPMENT – CUSTOM SOFTWARE DEVELOPMENT – OFFICE 365 EXPERTS – SHAREPOINT DOCUMENT LIBRARIES – SHAREPOINT CONUSLTANCY – CUSTOM SOLUTION DEVELOPMENT