From Microsoft Corporation
Technical Bulletin MC289724 · Published Oct 6, 2021
We are introducing a change to the Excel Trust Center Macro settings to provide a more secure experience for users by default. This new default behavior will disable Excel 4.0 macros.
Note: Users who have already configured this setting or have a group policy configuration in place will not be affected by this change.
- Insiders-Slow: will rollout in late October and be complete in early November.
- Current Channel: will rollout in early November and be complete in mid-November.
- Monthly Enterprise Channel (MEC): will begin and complete rollout in mid-December.
- Roll-out: tenant level
- Control type: admin control
- Action: review and assess
How this will affect your organization:
The setting Enable XLM macros when VBA macros are enabled will now be unchecked by default, thus disabling XLM macros. This change is limited to end-users who have not yet configured this macro setting or who do not have a group policy configured by their tenant admins.
- Users who have previously configured this setting or who have an existing group policy configuration in place will not be impacted by this change.
- Affected users will still be able to re-enable and configure the behavior of XLM macros via the Excel Trust Center settings.
What you need to do to prepare:
There is no required action from tenant admins.