Microsoft 365 Suite, Microsoft 365 Experts, SharePoint Development
Action Required by June 15, 2022
From Microsoft Corporation
Technical Bulletin MC343058 · Published Mar 14, 2022
As previously announced (MC306663 – Dec), the future of Internet Explorer on Windows is in Microsoft Edge. Internet Explorer mode (IE mode) provides legacy browser support within Microsoft Edge. Because of this, the IE11 desktop application will be retired on June 15, 2022, on certain versions of Windows 10. This means that the IE11 desktop application will no longer be supported and afterwards will redirect to Microsoft Edge if a user tries to access it.
With 3 months left before retirement, we highly recommend you begin testing your sites in IE mode, followed by disabling the IE11 application completely via policy to ensure readiness.
Note: The IE11 desktop application is not available on Windows 11. To continue using legacy IE-based sites and apps on Windows 11, IE mode in Microsoft Edge must be configured before deploying Windows 11.
Internet Explorer 11 desktop application
- Timing: The IE11 desktop application will be retired on June 15, 2022.
- Windows 10 LTSC and Server not affected. For a full list of what is in scope for retirement, see the FAQ.
- IE11 is not available on Windows 11.
- To continue using a supported browser, transition to the Microsoft Edge.
- To continue using legacy IE-based sites and apps in Windows 10 and Windows 11, you will need to configure those sites and apps to open in Microsoft Edge using Internet Explorer mode.
- You can use IE driver for automatic, end-to-end site testing in IE mode.
- Use policy to disable the IE11 application and ensure you’re prepared for retirement.
How this will affect your organization:
If your organization has legacy sites and apps with IE dependencies, you will need to set up IE mode so that users can access them through Microsoft Edge. If you do not set up IE mode before IE11 is retired and disabled, users will lose access to those legacy sites, and you could experience business disruption.
As first seen with the Windows 10 January 2022 C “Preview” release, IE11 now has an in-product banner notifying users of the upcoming retirement. This only shows on Windows versions affected by IE11 retirement. To configure, use the “Hide Internet Explorer 11 Application Retirement Notification” group policy found in the Local Group Policy Editor under Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Internet Explorer.
Note: After June 15, 2022, the IE11 desktop application will be removed from in-scope versions of Windows 10 via Windows update. We do not recommend avoiding Windows updates to keep IE11 as Window updates contain critical operating system security patches.
What you need to do to prepare:
To prepare, we recommend setting up Microsoft Edge in your organization. If your organization needs legacy browser support, you should set up IE mode in Microsoft Edge as soon as possible because this is a multi-step process.
- View the Microsoft browser usage report in the Microsoft 365 Admin center to help size IE usage in your organization. Appropriate permissions required.
- Use the Getting Started guide to set up IE mode in Microsoft Edge in your organization.
- Start setting up IE mode by performing Site Discovery (typically 3-4 weeks). This is also available in the Configure IE mode guided set up experience.
- Learn more by joining a webinar.
- Use IE Driver to automate end-to-end IE mode testing.
- Disable IE11 to test IE mode in your environment.
- FastTrack can help with deployment and configuration at no additional charge for customers with 150 or more seats of Windows 10.
- For cost-free help with web app and site compatibility, especially if you have legacy site concerns after configuring IE mode, learn more about the App Assure program.
- Read our FAQ to help answer your questions and use the troubleshooting guide during setup.
- Visit the Internet Explorer mode website.
- Watch videos from our IE Retirement YouTube playlist to learn more.
- Learn more about hosting your IE mode site list in an authenticated cloud endpoint in the M365 admin center.
- Read our announcement blog and browse our blog series for more information.
We always value feedback and questions from our customers. Please feel free to submit either feedback or questions via Message Center.
TECHNICAL BULLETIN END
QuixTec provides this and other technical bulletins unaltered from Microsoft. As an authorized Microsoft Partner, we ensure that all our solutions we deliver to you include the latest Microsoft updates.
ABOUT US: QuixTec, LLC is a U.S. certified Veteran Owned, modern DevOps organization and Microsoft Partner that specializes in Microsoft SharePoint, Microsoft365 expertise & HTML5 technologies for small to enterprise-sized organizations. The founder, Richard, has 30 years of experience working with several notable companies that include World Vision, Expedia, Microsoft, Levi Strauss, NASA, Boeing Aerospace, Los Alamos National Laboratory, and the U.S. Air Force, to name a few. QuixTec is in the Seattle area. Phone today for a free consultation and project estimate:
SharePoint Development Services – SharePoint Development – Custom Software Development – Microsoft 365 Experts – Microsoft 365 – IT Staffing Services – IT Staffing – WordPress Development Services – SEO Services