Exchange Online, Microsoft 365 Experts
From Microsoft Corporation
Technical Bulletin MC338988 · Published Mar 4, 2022
ACTION REQUIRED by March 2023
Upcoming, we will be retiring the preview program enabling REST API access to on-premises mailboxes for Hybrid Exchange organizations.
Note: This will impact those who write code against Exchange mailboxes.
- Timing: Beginning early March 2023, we will begin to return errors for any requests made for mailboxes that remain on-premises.
- Action: Use Microsoft Graph for Exchange Online and Exchange Web Services (EWS) for Exchange Server on-premises
- Roll-out: tenant level
How this will affect your organization:
What API(s) should I use to work with Hybrid Orgs, where some mailboxes are in Exchange Online, and some are on Exchange Server?
- You should continue to use Microsoft Graph to work with Exchange Online mailboxes and use EWS to work with Exchange Server (on-premises) mailboxes.
Wasn’t EWS going away?
- In 2018 we announced EWS in Exchange Online would no longer receive feature updates. But we have no plans currently to change the way EWS works on-premises, so using Microsoft Graph for Exchange Online and EWS for Exchange Server on-premises is the current recommendation.
- If you choose to continue using EWS against Exchange Online mailboxes, you should ensure that it uses OAuth (as Basic Authentication is being turned off in Exchange Online). You should also know that it now allows restricting access to mailboxes access through mailbox access policies.
Where can I get help on using Microsoft Graph?
- One of the best places to start is Use the Microsoft Graph API and one of the best resources you can use to get practical is Use Graph Explorer to try Microsoft Graph APIs
TECHNICAL BULLETIN END
QuixTec provides this and other technical bulletins unaltered from Microsoft. As an authorized Microsoft Partner, we ensure that all our solutions we deliver to you include the latest Microsoft updates.
ABOUT US: QuixTec, LLC is a U.S. certified Veteran Owned, modern DevOps organization and Microsoft Partner that specializes in Microsoft SharePoint, Microsoft365 expertise & HTML5 technologies for small to enterprise-sized organizations. The founder, Richard, has 30 years of experience working with several notable companies that include World Vision, Expedia, Microsoft, Levi Strauss, NASA, Boeing Aerospace, Los Alamos National Laboratory, and the U.S. Air Force, to name a few. QuixTec is in the Seattle area. Phone today for a free consultation and project estimate:
SharePoint Development Services – SharePoint Development – Custom Software Development – Microsoft 365 Experts – Microsoft 365 – IT Staffing Services – IT Staffing – WordPress Development Services – SEO Services