From Microsoft Corporation
Technical Bulletin MC281145 · Published Aug 26, 2021
Action required by Jun 30, 2022
Today, as communicated on Tech Community, we are providing a reminder that the end of support for Azure Active Directory (Azure AD) Graph will be on June 30, 2022. Apps using Azure AD Graph after this time will no longer receive responses from the Azure AD Graph endpoint.
Since the Azure AD Graph APIs are being retired, we are also retiring the license assignment operation in the MSOnline and Azure AD PowerShell modules.
Note: If you don’t use Azure AD Graph API, do license management through MSOnline/AzureAD PowerShell, or manage licenses for your organization, you can safely disregard this message.
- Timing: June 30, 2022
- Control type: user control / admin control
- Action: review, assess and update existing applications to access the license assignment APIs from the Microsoft Graph endpoint and update your scripts to use license assignment cmdlets from the Microsoft Graph PowerShell module to reduce the impact on operations. Other operations in the MSOnline and Azure AD PowerShell modules won’t be impacted.
Below are some of the operations that will no longer receive a successful response beginning on June 30, 2022.
|Existing operation (will no longer receive a successful response)||Microsoft Graph equivalent to use going forward|
|MSOnline PowerShellSet-MsolUserLicenseNew-MsolUser (where -LicenseAssignment or -LicenseOptions is provided)||Microsoft Graph PowerShellSet-MgUserLicense|
|Azure AD PowerShellSet-AzureADUserLicense||Microsoft Graph PowerShell|
|Azure AD Graph API (graph.windows.net)assignLicense||Microsoft Graph API|
What’s next: New license management platform:
The current license management features have grown to address the needs of our customers, with key innovations like group-based licensing. But as the needs of our customers have evolved, we decided to rebuild online services licensing platform from the ground up. Below is an early look into future changes to the platform, designed with four key goals in mind:
- Flexibility: Expanding beyond a single administration structure, single megalithic pool of seats, or even a single tenant.
- Simplicity: Reducing unnecessary complexity and simplify getting your licenses to your users.
- Speed: Gaining quick access to what you’ve purchased.
- Accuracy: Reflecting what you have purchased and the licenses you have available to assign.
Realizing the entire vision will take time, today we are sharing the first milestone in this journey. Starting in the first quarter of 2022, customers can opt-in to use the new license management platform. Here are the features you will see as part of this milestone:
- Allotments will help you separate your licenses into smaller batches so you can set limits on how many licenses are used, and delegate ownership to manage them.
- Group licensing will be extended. In the new licensing platform, Azure AD Premium or Office 365 E3 will no longer be required to use group-based licensing for license assignments. In addition, nested groups will now work for license assignments.
- New license types, including device-based licenses and ISV app licensing, will work natively on the new platform.
In the future, look forward to hearing more about the new license management platform via MC communications, including how to get started using it and details on new API and PowerShell options to leverage the new features.
TECHNICAL BULLETIN END
QuixTec provides this and other technical bulletins ‘unaltered’ from Microsoft. As an authorized Microsoft Partner, we ensure that all our solutions we deliver to you include the latest Microsoft updates.
ABOUT US: QuixTec, LLC is a U.S. certified Veteran Owned, modern DevOps organization and Microsoft Partner that specializes in Microsoft SharePoint, Office 365 expertise & HTML5 technologies for small to enterprise-sized organizations. The founder, Richard, has 30 years of experience working with several notable companies that include World Vision, Expedia, Microsoft, Levi Strauss, NASA, Boeing Aerospace, Los Alamos National Laboratory, and the U.S. Air Force, to name a few. QuixTec is in the Seattle area. Phone today for a free consultation and project estimate: