SharePoint Online, SharePoint Development, Custom Software Development
From Microsoft Corporation
Technical Bulletin MC350768 · Published Apr 1, 2022
Apologies for the delayed release of this new feature. Resources in the SharePoint app bar are expanding to include the ability to create sites, files, and lists as an action.
- Microsoft 365 Roadmap ID 82160
- Targeted Release (select users and entire org): will begin rolling out in mid-April and will complete by late April
- Standard: will begin rolling out in early May and will complete by mid-May.
- Action: Action: review and assess
- Roll-out: tenant level
How this will affect your organization
This new feature will allow users to create sites, files, and lists from within the SharePoint app bar. Users will be able to select the Create command (the plus sign) on the app bar and then select an option from SharePoint sites, Microsoft Lists, or Office files (Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and OneNote). As users create each of the different assets included in the panel, they will launch the create experience for each format.
- Note: The new create command cannot be disabled or customized. However, if you have previously disabled self-service site creation, the option to create a site will not appear on the create panel
- Site creation will launch the SharePoint site creation panel in the site you are in; if you are in a hub, the site will be associated with this hub when created
- List creation will open in a new tab and take you to the create experience in Microsoft Lists
- Office files will create the document in your OneDrive site until you save to a different location
What you need to do to prepare
You do not need to do anything to prepare. The SharePoint app bar cannot be customized. If you have not already enabled and customized global navigation in the SharePoint app bar, it’s highly recommended that you do so to take advantage of the best navigational experience for end users.