From Microsoft Corporation
Technical Bulletin MC279627 · Published Aug 20, 2021 · Last updated Nov 18, 2021
Updated November 18, 2021: During our gradual rollout of the new Whiteboard for Windows app, we learned that users love the new features but need some of the old ones back. We’ve also heard that some customers need more time before we automatically require transitioning new boards in OneDrive for Business (ODB) and more flexibility for rolling out the new unified Whiteboard for Windows app.
So today, we’re doing two things:
- We’re pausing the Windows app rollout. Any users already upgraded will be automatically moved back to the previous version via automatic Store update. All the new Whiteboard features such as templates remain available in Teams, Web and mobile.
- We’re providing more time for you to decide how you want to opt into ODB storage and deploy the new unified client on Windows and Surface Hub.
What are the new dates and options?
- For the client, we’re addressing top requests for the new Windows app and will start the automatic store rollout in mid-February, completing by mid-March.
- For the storage, we’re giving you more time before transitioning storage to ODB. Default on will begin in late March and complete by mid-April.
- For those who want the unified Windows client and/or ODB storage sooner, by mid-January we’ll provide ways for you to deploy to your organization.
Microsoft Whiteboard is being updated to provide a new, unified experience across all devices, whether you’re on a large screen or a mobile phone. We’ve already shipped new, highly requested features to our web app, Android app and Teams clients, and there’s more on the way. As part of this new experience, we will also be updating our native applications on Windows 10, Surface Hub and iOS to provide a uniform experience across all devices.
When this will happen:
Please see updated timings above.
How this will affect your organization:
The below features are available on web and Teams:
- Sticky note colors: 10 colorful sticky note shades to choose from.
- Note grids – insert a grid of sticky notes in one of 12 available colors to help in workshops and ideation sessions.
- View objects created in native apps – Objects such as lists & templates inserted on native apps can be viewed on web and Teams as well.
- Ink pen colors: 15 new ink pen color options with a range of thicknesses to help visualize your content and bring your text to life.
- Highlighter colors: – 15 new highlighter color options enable users to emphasize content on the board.
- Ink shape recognition: – draw shapes with ink and then watch them straighten automatically.
- Improved mouse inking: – create smoother ink lines, making your strokes easier and cleaner when drawing with a mouse or trackpad.
- Read only mode for education accounts: – as a meeting facilitator or an educator, determine when and how students participate and collaborate by enabling or disabling their editing capabilities.
The features below are in progress and will be rolling out soon.
Modern look and feel:
- Streamlined user experience: an unobtrusive app UI maximizes your canvas space.
- Creation gallery: a highly discoverable, simple way of finding and using objects and features in the application.
- Collaboration roster: see who is on the board and collaborating with you.
- Collaborative cursors: see where other people are on the canvas and what they are editing.
- Laser pointer: get other people’s attention as you share your best ideas.
- Improved performance: quickly open boards, pan and zoom, create content, and collaborate in real time with numerous editors at once during large working sessions.
Interactive content features:
- More than 30 customizable templates: get started quickly and collaborate, brainstorm, and ideate with brand new templates.
- Reactions: provide lightweight, contextual feedback with a set of fun reactions.
- Images: add images from your local drive to the canvas and annotate them to build visual interest on your boards.
- Copy/paste: copy and paste content and text within the same whiteboard.
- Object alignment: use alignment lines and object snapping to precisely organize content spatially.
- Format background: personalize your whiteboard by changing the background color and pattern .
- Ink arrows: smoothly draw single and double-sided arrows using ink to better facilitate diagramming.
- Ink effect pens: express yourself in a creative way using rainbow and galaxy ink.
The below features will change as part of the native app update:
- Ruler: for straight lines, users can now insert lines from the shapes menu or hold down shift when inking.
- Erase entire ink strokes: for faster erasing, users can now erase the entire ink stroke instead of a portion of it.
- Lock image: the ability to lock images and other canvas content will be available shortly after the update.
- Insert document: the ability to insert documents from local storage along with OneDrive and SharePoint will be available shortly after update.
- Like/unlike sticky notes: users can use reactions instead as a workaround for lightweight voting and liking. We will be releasing more enhanced voting capabilities in a future update.
- Sorting: the ability to organize and sort lists and note grids are being rebuilt and will be included in a future update.
- Export template to CSV and email summary: these features are being rebuilt and will be included in a future update, including different ways to export content from the board.
- Ink grab, Ink to table and Ink to text: these features are being rebuilt and will be included in a future update.
- Accessibility checker and alt text: these features are being rebuilt and will be included in a future update.
- Bing image search: users can download and insert images onto the canvas with the insert image feature.
- Easy share on Surface Hub: this feature is being rebuilt and will be included in a future update.
What you need to do to prepare:
Microsoft Whiteboard web and Teams clients:
- The new features in web and Teams will be automatically rolled out to all customers.
Microsoft Whiteboard native apps on Windows 10, Surface Hub and iOS:
- The new features in our native clients will be automatically rolled out to customers. However, if you deployed the native Windows 10 client through SCCM or Intune, you should download and deploy the new version.
Note: A separate message will be sent with details on the transition to OneDrive for Business storage.
Enterprise and Commercial users:
TECHNICAL BULLETIN END
QuixTec provides this and other technical bulletins ‘unaltered’ from Microsoft. As an authorized Microsoft Partner, we ensure that all our solutions we deliver to you include the latest Microsoft updates.
ABOUT US: QuixTec, LLC is a U.S. certified Veteran Owned, modern DevOps organization and Microsoft Partner that specializes in Microsoft SharePoint, Office 365 expertise & HTML5 technologies for small to enterprise-sized organizations. The founder, Richard, has 30 years of experience working with several notable companies that include World Vision, Expedia, Microsoft, Levi Strauss, NASA, Boeing Aerospace, Los Alamos National Laboratory, and the U.S. Air Force, to name a few. QuixTec is in the Seattle area. Phone today for a free consultation and project estimate: